• +1 (306) 531-4433 | panjeri2003@hotmail.com


Once you become the permanent resident of Canada, you must have a valid permanent resident card (PR Card) or a permanent resident travel document (PRTD). With a valid PR card, you may not return to Canada.

Don’t worry if your PR card is expired. You are still a permanent resident of Canada. However, you must apply for a new one as you need to show the valid PR card whenever needed.


You don’t have to apply for a PR card if you are a new permanent resident in Canada. You just need to provide your Canadian mailing address and you will be sent your PR card to that address. After immigrating to send it, you will have 180 days remaining to send your address. After that, you need to apply for your PR card. It will cost you $50 processing fee.

You will be eligible for a PR card if you:

  • Become a permanent resident, and
  • Submit your application in Canada.

Note that, if you are outside Canada, you need to apply for a PRTD in order to return to Canada. You can apply for a PR card once you arrive.

Apply for a PR card only if:

  • Your PR card wasn’t sent within 180 days of immigrating to Canada;
  • Your PR card is expired or has less than nine months to be expired;
  • Your PR card has been stolen, lost or destroyed;
  • Your name was legally changed and you need to update your PR card.

You are not eligible for a PR card if:

  • You were asked by the Canadian government to leave the country;
  • You are a Canadian citizen. Once you become a citizen, you must return your PR card at your citizenship ceremony.

Before you apply:

  1. Instead of five years (which is a usual validity of a PR card), sometimes your PR card can be issued only for one year. The expiry date is listed on the card and will be valid until that date.
  2. PR cards will only be sent to address within Canada. However, in some cases, you may need to collect your PR card in person from one of the Canadian immigration offices.
  3. You can ask your PR card to be reissued if there’s any mistake. Note that, if your name is too long to fit on the card, it may be shortened, which is not a mistake. Click here to know more on how to fix a mistake on your PR card.

Replacement of a PR card – lost, stolen or destroyed:

If you are inside Canada at the time of your application, you need to apply using this web form, informing what happened to your PR card. To complete the application form:

  • Click “Tell us more.” Answer No and click “Go to Web form.”
  • Choose “Permanent resident card” and then “Renewal and replacement.”
  • Fill in all your details and continue with your application.

How to apply for a PR card?

If you want to apply for a PR card, you need to follow these steps.  Your application will be sent back if you forget to provide something and you will have to submit a new application.

Note that, your processing fee is non-refundable. So, you need to make sure you are eligible before applying.

  1. Get the application package

The application package comes with all the required forms and a guide. Before you fill out the forms, read the guide. To ensure that you don’t forget anything, use the Document Checklist (PDF, 2.19MB).

You must include the following documents with your application:

  • Your PR card:
  • If you are applying for a renewal, keep your current PR card and attach a photocopy of it to your application.
  • If you are applying for a replacement because of some kind of damage or mistake in your card, send it with your application.
  • A clear copy of :
  • Valid documents of your travel and your passport
  • Travel documents and passport you maintained at the time you became a permanent resident.
  • Two photos of you. The photos must meet the photo specifications.
  • Other identity documents mentioned in the Document Checklist of the application package.
  • A copy of the processing fee receipt, and
  • Solemn Declaration if you didn’t receive your PR card within 180 days of immigrating to Canada, or if your PR card is stolen, lost or destroyed.
  1. Pay your application fees

The application fee for PR card must be paid online.

You need these following things to pay your fees online:

  • A PDF reader
  • A printer
  • A debit or credit card
  • A valid email address

After you complete the payment, take a print out of the receipt and attach it to your application.


  1. Submit your application:

Before submitting your application, check if you:

  • Answer all the questions correctly.
  • Provide your correct signature to your application and all the forms.
  • Include your payment receipt and all the supporting documents with your application.

After checking everything, send your application, as well as payment to the Case Processing Centre in Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada.

By mail:

Case Processing Centre — PR Card

P.O. Box 10020



By Courier:

Case Processing Centre – PR Card

49 Dorchester Street

Sydney, NS

B1P 5Z2.

  1. After you apply:

Your application processing time will start after the Case Processing Center receive your application, along with all your documents and photos in the correct format. You can check the status of your application for PR card or view the average processing times.

If your application is approved, you will get a PR card by mail. In some cases, you may have to pick up the card by yourself from one of the offices. In this case, bring your passport, your travel documents, and the original documents you provided with your application. You need to pick up the card within 180 days. Otherwise, it will be destroyed and you will have to apply for a new one.

Send a solemn declaration if you don’t get your card within six weeks after it has been mailed.

You have to inform if you change your address or contact number after submitting the application.

Destroy your old card by cutting it half after you receive the new one. You are also recommended to destroy your card if it’s expired, damaged or has a name you used before.


  • 25/03/2018

Member Of